The ornamental fish industry in Sri Lanka has a long history and was started in 1952 as a commercial industry. Sri Lanka exports marine, freshwater, brackish water fish species and marine invertebrates.
Freshwater aquarium fish comprise the more colourful and more striking species of guppies, swordtails, platys barbs tetras, angels, gourami's, catfishes etc. Out of these freshwater species exported from Sri Lanka about 60-70% consists of famous fancy guppies of which the high recognition is there in the international market due to the strength and high diversity of the particular fish species when compared to the other countries.
here are some valuble hints to start a quality fish farm for beginners.
- To start your own in the aquaculture fish industry, you must first learn all about fish farming. Learning about fish farms will prepare you to make educated decisions. Visit some of the fish farms in your area or meet with people just like you who have entered the fish industry. The internet is vast source of knowledge.
- setting your goals before you start your business is very important at the beginning of your venture. You should know exactly what you are going to produce, in what amounts, how many people you will need, how much money you will spend, and how much profit you can expect from your farm.
- Once you know what you options are and how much money you need, the next step should be analyzing the market. Who are your buyers? What type fish is most profitable? How much can you supply? Have you contacted anyone for your special needs or in case an emergency arises? Have you considered all expenses associated with your business? You need to think it through.
- Since you want to start small, you can setup a fishing pond right in your backyard. It is also possible to raise fish in a fish tank in your garage or indoors. You can easily get all the supplies you need to set up your small fish farm and start fish farming.
- If you have decided to operate from home, you could designate a place in your back yard for a pond. You could easily dig a pond, and put fish in it. You may have to process your water to make it suitable for young fish. You can buy small bags of fish from a hatchery near you. Make them you feed your fish with appropriate proper diet and take care of your pond or fish tank. Harvest your fish and enjoy.