Tecla Company was founded in 1897 by Thomas E. Clark (T.E. Clark), a well known inventor of the era. He founded the company to make wireless radio receivers and transmitters. Mr. Clark established himself as one of the forefathers in ship-to-shore wireless communication.
Experimental radio sets were the company's mainstay at the turn of the century and into the early twenties. Clark developed and built the transmitter for WWJ Radio One, the first truly commercial radio station in the United States. The stock market crash and the depression that followed nearly ended the company's solvency. But the strong efforts and resolve of Clark and his eldest son, James E. Clark, reestablished Tecla as a manufacturer of quality mechanical and electrical equipment.
Closely following the depression, Tecla evolved into a tool building and design shop doing experimental work. With this platform, in the late thirties, James E. Clark and Charles Laing developed the dog nail trimmer. Under the brand name “RESCO” (Research Engineering and Sales Company), sales of the trimmer began. World War II interrupted the growing line of Resco Pet Products and Tecla became fully involved in the war effort.
Later, with the war over, Tecla developed a full line of quality pet products. Tecla’s downtown Detroit location was moved to northwest
Detroit. Norval F. Clark, the youngest son of founder Thomas E. Clark, joined the firm. Through continued quality and craftsmanship, Resco Pet Products carved a niche in the professional groomers and handlers market and sales continued upward.
As the fifties, sixties and seventies continued showing sales gains, Resco quality was the featured
selling point and sell they did as Resco Pet Products consumed most of Tecla’s manufacturing capabilities. Norval Clark’s three sons, Richard, Robert and Jeffrey were hired by the corporation to assist with the growing pet line. The four Clarks continued the family tradition of quality merchandise and dependable service.
The eighties ushered in the computer age at Tecla as Dick and Robb oversaw the installation of the manufacturing software and hardware system. That system vastly improved shipping and inventory capabilities. In 1982 Tecla moved its plant from the Detroit location to a northwestern suburb, Walled Lake (about 30 miles from downtown Detroit). The late eighties saw the computer system expanded to include a CAD system for design work.
The nineties welcomed the fourth generation of Clarks as Christopher, Kelly and Amy (the twins) and Randy began working for the corporation. The late nineties challenged Tecla. A new plastics division and expanding business created the need for a new facility. Tecla built it’s new spacious home at 1250 Ladd Road in Walled Lake, Michigan- about five miles west of the old building. The Clark family, which has continued to expand with Randy’s brother Patrick (New product development) and Chris’s wife Drew (Resco GM) ,and Tecla’s employees continue to look forward to serving the pet industry. Our commitment to family, our employees, our customers and to quality products remains the foundation upon which we continue to build. We wish to thank all of our customers for being part of our history.
Resco Pet Products offers you products from these product groups:
Clicking on an exhibitor opens his profile with more information.